List of Prime Minister of India: Overview
The Prime Minister of India is the chief executive of the Government of India. Some important points asked in various exams are given below.
- Jawaharlal Nehru was the first Prime minister of India. He also India’s longest-serving prime minister.
- Indira Gandhi was the first Woman Prime minister of India.
- Rajiv Gandhi was sworn-in as India’s youngest Prime minister of India.
- Manmohan Singh is the first Sikh Prime minister of India.
- Narendra Damodardas Modi is the current Prime minister of India (14th).
Prime Minister of India List
Jawahar Lal Nehru, the first prime minister of India was appointed on 15th August 1947 and Narendra Damodardas Modi is the current prime minister of India. Check the List of Prime Ministers of India from 1947 to 2020 in the table below.
|Jawahar Lal Nehru||15-Aug-1947 to 27-May-1964|
|Gulzarilal Nanda||27-May-1964 to 9 June 1964|
|Lal Bahadur Shastri||09-Jun-1964 to 11-Jan-1966|
|Gulzarilal Nanda||11-Jan-1966 to 24 January 1966|
|Indira Gandhi||24-Jan-1966 to 24-Mar-1977|
|Morarji Desai||24-Mar-1977 to 28-Jul-1979|
|Charan Singh||28-Jul-1979 to 14-Jan-1980|
|Indira Gandhi||14-Jan-1980 to 31-Oct-1984|
|Rajiv Gandhi||31-Oct-1984 to 02-Dec-1989|
|Vishwanath Pratap Singh||02-Dec-1989 to 10-Nov-1990|
|Chandra Shekhar||10-Nov-1990 to 21-Jun-1991|
|P. V. Narasimha Rao||21-Jun-1991 to 16-May-1996|
|Atal Bihari Vajpayee||16-May-1996 to 01-Jun-1996|
|H. D. Deve Gowda||01-Jun-1996 to 21-Apr-1997|
|Atal Bihari Vajpayee||19-Mar-1998 to 22-May-2004|
|Dr Manmohan Singh||22-May-2004 to 26-May-2014|
|Narendra Damodardas Modi||26-May-2014 to Incumbent|